Friday, December 11, 2009

Pant-O-Mime


Every year Stevenson high school puts on a Pant-O-Mime show. A Pant-O-Mime is where people lip sync to songs and act out scenarios that are popular around the time. I was involved in the Pant-O-Mime show this year. It was my first year because I am a freshman. There were only two freshmen in the show, so it made me feel special.


Preparing for the Pant-O-Mime show takes a lot of time and effort. I was only in one act, so I didn’t have to put in as much time as the people in multiple acts had to. Before the show even started, students had to prepare their act before they could even consider being in the show. My act was called “Be a Man”. It was from the Disney movie Mulan. The group I was in practiced every day after school for an hour a week before try outs. We choreographed moves, and we made sure everyone had an equal opportunity to have a part.


The try outs for the Pant-O-Mime show lasted only about five minutes because you only had to show your act twice. When my group and I walked in to the auditorium, everyone could tell we were nervous. The room was dark and Mrs. Vanhorn told us to go on stage and show the audience what we had. We went on stage and went through the act a few times. Mrs. Vanhorn complimented us and let us continue on with the rest of the day. She let us know that our act number would be outside the auditorium if we made the show.


The next day I got a text message saying that we had made the show and we had to attend the practice. My group and I attended six hour practices required for the show for a week. The show was running smoothly by the end of the first day. The practices were demanding, but they were also fun. I had barely any time to do my homework, but I managed.


After a few weeks of practicing with the whole cast I felt comfortable in front of an audience. Our first performance was during school, and many of my class mates would be attending. As I went on stage I felt butterflies in my stomach, but I knew I was going to do fine. The music turned on the lights glared in my face, and our whole group started to perform. Soon enough the act was over and everyone was rushing out the door to go sit back on the floor to watch the rest of the show.


Over all the Pant-O-Mime show was a great experience even though it only lasted a few weeks. All the people were so enjoyable to be with. I wish the show would of lasted longer. I would defiantly consider being a part of the show next year.

1 comment:

  1. Six hour practices every day for a week! I never knew how much time and effort was put forth for the show.

    ReplyDelete